MMO Appointee – Commercial
I have been involved with inshore fishing in the north west of Cumbria for 40 years both as a part time and a full time fisherman.
I have owned registered and licensed fishing vessels and have an under 16.5 metre Skipper’s ticket.
I was a full time trade union official for the Transport and General Worker’s Union (Unite) for nearly 33 years during which I represented the union on regional, national and international bodies associated with fishing such as the European Fisheries Committees in Brussels. During this time I was elected to represent Whitehaven fishermen, a role which I continue to hold. This position has somewhat developed, from Chairman/Secretary.
I am involved with a number of organisations connected to sea fishing:
- Member of the Cumbria Sea Fisheries Committee since 2006
- Chariman of the North West region of the National Federation of Fishermen’s Organisations (NFFO)
- Executive Member of NFFO
- Member of the Irish Sea Marine Conservation Zone stakeholder group
- Member of Seafood North West
- Auxiliary/Volunteer agent – National Deep Sea Fishermen’s Mission
- Co-ordinator for fishermen – Sea Fish Training ASSFA Amble
I believe the IFCAs can play an important role in regional management of fisheries including that of quote distribution for under 10 metre vessels and that important aspect of conserving stocks and habitats in the region. I would wish to be part of this process.