Dredge: Seed Mussel Fisheries Open
Update on dredge seed mussel fisheries – Perch and Black Scar mussel beds are permitted to seed mussel dredge fishing.
To dredge for seed mussel you must hold a permit issued under The Restrictions on the use of a Dredge Byelaw 2017. To apply please complete both the Dredge Permit Application Form and Seed Mussel Supplementary Form available below:
Perch and Black Scar Dredge Mussel Fishery
- Fishing is permitted between 9th August and 31st August 2023.
- The permitted dredge mussel fishing areas are the area enclosed by a straight line connecting points A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H and returning to point A, and the area enclosed by a straight line connecting points I, J, K, L and returning to point I, as illustrated in Annex A.
|Latitude (degrees, decimal minutes)||Longitude (degrees, decimal minutes)|
|A||53.93309||-3.01577||53° 55.985” N||3° 0.946” W|
|B||53.93291||-3.01700||53° 55.974” N||3° 1.019” W|
|C||53.93432||-3.01783||53° 56.059” N||3° 1.069” W|
|D||53.93457||-3.01890||53° 56.074” N||3° 1.134” W|
|E||53.93501||-3.01900||53° 56.100” N||3° 1.140” W|
|F||53.93529||-3.01834||53° 56.117” N||3° 1.100” W|
|G||53.93664||-3.01827||53° 56.198” N||3° 1.096” W|
|H||53.93684||-3.01727||53° 56.210” N||3° 1.036” W|
|I||53.93794||-3.01782||53° 56.276” N||3° 1.069” W|
|J||53.93714||-3.02238||53° 56.228” N||3° 1.342” W|
|K||53.94326||-3.02305||53° 56.595” N||3° 1.383” W|
|L||53.94342||-3.02246||53° 56.605” N||3° 1.347” W|
- Fishing by dredge is only permitted for mussels.
- Only dredges which have been previously approved in writing by the Authority can be used. Only approved ‘ecodredge’ can be used.
- The fisheries is within a Marine Protected Area, as certain conditions have to be met for a seed dredge fishery to be Habitat Regulations Assessment compliant. Should there be evidence that these conditions are no longer met and there is potential for damage to protected features. The fishery will be suspended until further assessment has been carried out.
- This permit does not exonerate the holder from any other sea fisheries legislation.
- NWIFCA has the power to withdraw flexible permit conditions at any point should the need arise, subject to the review procedure.
- Any breach of the conditions constitutes a breach of the byelaw.
Annex A – Perch and Black Scar Permitted Mussel Dredge Area 2023