Recruiting – Chief Executive Officer
Chief Executive Officer
North Western Inshore Fisheries and Conservation Authority
Location: Carnforth, Lancashire
Salary: £55,077 to £74,310 (starting point according to experience, increase subject to annual assessments).
Pension: Local Government scheme (defined benefits and employer contributions).
Relocation Expenses: Up to £10,000 subject to negotiation within the terms of our relocation policy.
Hours: Full time (applicants should be aware that this post routinely requires travel within the District and the UK to attend meetings and thus involves regularly working in the early morning, evening, weekends and overnight).
Contract Type: Permanent
BPSS Check: This will be carried out prior to appointment
We are looking for an experienced, skilled and highly motivated leader for our 21 dedicated staff to be based at our head office in Carnforth, Lancashire.
North Western Inshore Fisheries and Conservation Authority (NWIFCA) is one of the largest of the ten IFCAs in England. NWIFCA is a statutory authority, established in 2010 under the Marine & Coastal Access Act 2009. We are responsible for regulating and managing inshore sea fisheries and striking the balance between sustaining the marine environment and protecting the social and economic interests of our fishing communities.
The NWIFCA District spans 8 local authority boundaries from Wirral, Halton, Cheshire, Liverpool and Sefton in the south along the Lancashire and Blackpool coasts to the west coast of Cumbria where the Lake District meets the Irish Sea. Locally based Fishery Officers and our fishery patrol vessels ensure that NWIFCA byelaws and national legislation is enforced throughout this area and up to 6 nautical miles offshore.
Our new Chief Executive will report to the Authority membership of 30 representatives appointed by each Local Authority, as well as fishing industry and environmental experts appointed by the Marine Management Organisation. You will represent the Authority at all levels from local meetings with fishermen through to meetings with UK Ministers and the devolved administrations in Wales and Scotland.
This is an opportunity for you to make a positive contribution to inshore fishery management, protecting the marine environment, and the future of coastal communities in NW England and at the national level. We are looking for applicants that can show us how their leadership and management skills will enable NWIFCA to maximise its potential, fulfil new opportunities and meet the new challenges that lie ahead.
Information about the role of CEO is provided in the documents that can be accessed using the links below:-
Application Form: Application Form (Word Document)
Job Description: CEO Job Description (pdf)
Scope of Role: CEO Scope of Role (pdf)
Key Success: CEO Key Success Criteria (pdf)
Policy documents that are relevant to applications for this role are accessible via the links below.
Equality: Equality, Diversity and Inclusion Policy (pdf)
Relocation Policy: Relocation Policy (pdf)
Please provide the following information in support of your application:-
- Completed Application Form (this can be downloaded in the section above.)
- Detailed Curriculum Vitae including the following information:-
- Name and current address, phone number and email
- Full employment history, including any gaps
- All qualifications completed with results
- Full educational history from starting secondary school, with results and grades
- Details of IT skills, qualifications and experience
- Details of any relevant marine or fisheries experience
- Details of professional training or development relevant to this post.
- Interests and hobbies
- Driving Licence: Please included details of your driving licence (full/clean/which driving categories) and your driving experience including towing trailers. Give details of any driving convictions you have had in the last 5 years.
- Criminal Record Declaration: Please give details of any unspent cautions or convictions you have received.
- Details of Referees: Please give names and addresses, phone and email contact for 2 referees; these should include your 2 most recent employers. If you do not have 2 recent employers, referees should be from higher education. N.B. Personal referees are not accepted
- Statement: Please declare if you are related or known to any Member or Officers of the NWIFCA.
- Supporting letter of up to 500 words.
The deadline for applications is 2359 on the 30th December 2022. Applications shall be submitted to the Chair of the Authority, Mr Philip Capper by e-mail to [email protected]. Late applications may be accepted by prior arrangement if approval is obtained from the Chair at least 7 days in advance of this deadline.
Interviews will be held within 4 weeks of the application deadline. Applicants will be given 2 weeks’ notice of the interview date and process.
If you are shortlisted for interview you will be given the opportunity to speak to the Chair and Vice-Chair of the Authority about this role.