(Now Closed) Vacancy: Fisheries and Conservation Advisor
|£21,166 to £28,785 from 1 April 2019 (Local Government Scale 11-25)
|Local government scheme
|Based in Carnforth with travel throughout District
|Hours of work:
|Based on a 37 hour working week using a flexitime system
|NWIFCA is lead regulator protecting the inshore marine environment and fisheries in NW England. NWIFCA District extends from the Welsh border in the south to the Scottish border in the north and seawards out to 6 miles.
|Aim of the Post:
|Under the direction of the Senior Scientist to protect the marine environment and promote sustainable use of its resources by delivering scientific and survey priorities. You will contribute to planning and delivery of a complex work programme and presentation of advice to the Authority. Main duties are impact assessment, stock assessment and species survey, GIS mapping, data analysis, reporting to the Authority and to Government. Priorities for next two years include assessments of cockle and mussel stocks, management of whelk fisheries, and developing survey and monitoring capacity of the NWIFCA’s new vessel, based in Whitehaven.
The Fisheries and Conservation Advisor post requires:
- Enthusiasm for the marine environment
- Good knowledge of current UK marine conservation and the fishing industry
- Experience of fisheries or marine environmental management
- Experience of a range of marine survey skills
- Equal enjoyment of both outdoor field work and delivering desk based analysis and reporting
- Keenness to develop the Authority’s underwater survey skills using kit such as drop down cameras, side scan survey and benthic grabs
- Reliability and competence, self-motivatation, ablility to meet deadlines, enjoyment of working as part of a team or alone
- Confidence in dealing with a wide range of stakeholders
- Strong writing, verbal, IT, communication and presentation skills
- Travel and work throughout NWIFCA district to carry out survey work and attend meetings with relevant stakeholders
- Working unsocial hours including early mornings, late evenings, some weekends as dictated by tides and daylight
- A full current UK driving licence.
Appointment will be dependent on passing a ML5 Medical.
How to Apply:
Please send your application by 23:59 on the closing date of 22 April 2019 to:
- [email protected] (email applications will be acknowledged) OR
- NWIFCA, 1 Preston Street, Carnforth, LA5 9BY
Your application should consist of:
1. A curriculum vitae including the following information:
- Name and current address, phone number and email
- Full employment history, including any gaps
- All qualifications completed with results
- Full educational history from starting secondary school, with results and grades
- Details of any IT skills, qualifications and experience
- Details of any relevant marine or fisheries experience
- Details of any relevant courses completed e.g. boat handling or marine safety
- Details of driving licence (full, clean and which driving categories)
- Details of driving experience including towing trailers
- Interests and hobbies
- Details of any cautions or convictions you have received
- Names and addresses (with phone and email if possible) of 2 referees, one of which should be your most recent employer (or academic tutor).
2. A hand written letter of up to 100 words explaining your interest in the post.
A full Job Description and Person Specification are included below:
Job Description: Fisheries and Conservation Advisor
|Science and Survey Work
Consultations and Liaison
Training to be undertaken (provided where necessary)
Education / Qualifications
|Good degree, in a Marine, Fisheries or Environmental subject.
|MSc (Fisheries or Marine Environment).
|Experience of fisheries and/or marine environmental management or surveys.
|Experience of littoral survey work.
Involvement with the enforcement of marine conservation legislation.
|Up to date knowledge of UK fisheries and marine environment.
|Knowledge of UK and EU fisheries legislation, NWIFCA byelaws, commercial fishing, angling, marine conservation and marine NGOs.
|IT skills with high competency in Word, Excel, Outlook, GIS.
Report writing & verbal presentation.
Willingness to undertake training such as ATV use and boat handling.
|Advanced GIS especially MapInfo.
Database use and development.
Experience of handling ATVs and towing trailers.
|Enthusiasm for marine environment.
Experience and confidence in dealing with a variety of people.
Self-motivated; able to work independently and in a team.
Flexible to adapt to changing work demands and priorities.
If you have any queries please email [email protected]